The Bike Buffet returns for the Westport Get Out There Adventure Festival
Westport Get Out There Adventure Festival
This June Bank Holiday Week embrace the outdoors with the Greenway, Adventure Activities & Film, Biodiversity & Nature, Sailing, and Westport Smarter Travel
Get ready for a whole week of exciting activities at the Westport Get Out There Adventure Festival and join in both free and ticketed events. To celebrate ClewBay’s remarkable landscape there will be an extensive activity programme for the Get Out There Festival. This exciting festival is organised by Westport Town Council, Westport Smarter Travel and WestportLeisurePark and runs from Saturday the 31st May to Sunday the 8th June.
Activities on the programme include the Great Western Greenway 10k, yoga in the park, nature and biodiversity talks and trails, Blueway Activity Day, Bike Buffet, Concrete Covey Skateboard Event, Playschool Walkers, Community walks, Murrisk Fun Run, Adventure Film….and the list goes on
Embrace the World Class Great Western Greenway and the Westport Town Greenway
- The Great Western Greenway 10k – This event is held in incredible surroundings which are beautiful, tranquil and scenic! Join up to be part of this amazing event in the beautiful town of Westport. Online entry – €20 On the day €30
- Westport Parkrun – a FREE weekly 5km event for runners of all standards, which takes place every Saturday at 9:30am and starts behind the Mill St. car park. It is not a race against other runners, but a 5k timed run and it can really be whatever you want it to be, whether that’s for fun or as part of a training plan.
- Yoga in the Park – An outdoor practice session or two can bring benefits from pure, fresh air and natural light. Make a change from the walls of the office and the gym. Meet at the Skatepark after Parkrun. Bring your own mat or rent one for €2
- Concrete Covey Skateboard Event – Pop along to the excitement at the Skatepark with Skatenutter. Demos, competitions and prizes up for grabs all day. Don’t miss out on this free event
- Greenway Schools Duathlon – is one of a number of fun events organised for the Get Out There Festival. Its aim is to introduce children to a “duathlon” experience through running and cycling. Teams of three from primary schools in the area are invited to participate.
- Playschool Walkers – Walk the Railway from the Skatepark to the Quay Community Centre. Enjoy games with some SPECIAL Guests and a picnic!
Get out there with Westport Smarter Travel
- Bike Buffet – will return on June 6th after the success of the inaugural event during the Spring Forward Celebration in April. 60 hungry cyclists met in April for this exciting event which takes in some of the town’s best views and food. The Bike Buffet starts at the Clew Bay Hotel and will take in a number of dining locations along the way. Bookings at email@example.com
- Community Walks – Join in fun 5km walks with Westport Activity Ambassadors and relax with some tea, coffee and biscuits after.
- Name Westport’s Smarter Travel Mascot – Over the past few weeks the mascot has been wandering around the town encouraging people to walk, cycle or car-pool. Now is your chance to name him or her and be in with a chance to win a €100 One 4 all gift voucher. Submit your entries to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 30th. The winner will be announced during Get Out There week.
Let the outdoors inspire you through Nature & Biodiversity
- Leave No Trace – promotes and inspires responsible outdoor recreation and looks at our collective mark on the environment. Discover the natural environment on this children’s nature trail led by ‘Leave No Trace’. Bring warm clothes and brace yourself for some games, quizzing and a campfire with toasted marshmallows.
- Biodiversity ‘Walk and Talk’ along the Railway – Join Paula Halpin from the Edible Landscape Project with Botanist Rob Kennan, for a guided tour of the existing native plants and planted fruit trees along the Town Greenway. Everyone welcome. Refreshments after.
Get out There on the Wild Atlantic way with some Wild Atlantic Adventures
- Adventure Films – In the Arctic Summer of 2001, a team of leading Irish sailors and explorers retraced the famous Northwest Passage from the Atlantic to the Pacific Ocean. This is your chance to meet some of the team and view the documentary of their exploration. Screening at the Clew Bay Hotel followed by Questions and Answers session.
- Blueway Activity Day – Try out the Blueway’s breath-taking activities such as snorkelling, coasteering and kayaking. Local providers will guide you along a clear blue marine trail whether you’re a land lubber or a salty old sea dog. Short sample activities are available at a reduced rate – don’t miss out. Get an entirely new perspective on Ireland’s magnificent Atlantic coastline. A newly launched initiative, the Blueway links together some of the most glorious coastal waters anywhere in the world, with signage, parking and information to guide you along a clear blue marine trail.
- Westport Horseshow – Join in a great day of equestrian. Horse and pony shows, Connemara ponies and the Dog Safe Fence Connaught Championship.
- ClareIsland Sailing Festival – Every June Bank Holiday Sunday the Mayo Sailing Club and guests bring their flotilla of vessels to the island to partake in one of the West Coast’s most challenging and fun yacht races. This is a fun filled weekend with plenty of entertainment all round. Characters from every walk of life, both young and old set their mains against one another for the prestige of winning the Kay O’Grady memorial trophy. There will be festivities and live music across the island.
- ClewBay Kayak – Enjoy a new experience at Westport Quay. Join your tots on some sit on tops for a paddle in the pond or take a spin on two wheels around the Quay or along the Town Greenway. All free of charge from Monday to Friday.
- Archery Tag – best described as dodge-ball with bows and arrows! An exciting action-packed game offering the ultimate safe, family-friendly experience that engages the whole family.
For full details collect a programme available in a number of locations around town or see www.westportgetoutthere.ie, FB: Westport Get Out There Festival or contact email@example.com.