Newport, County Mayo, is 12km (7.5 miles) north of Westport on the Newport Road (N59). Newport's most distinctive feature is the elegant seven arch viaduct that dominates the townscape. It was built in 1892 for the now-defunct Westport-Achill railway line, most of which is now the Great Western Greenway.
Today, the railway bridge has been beautifully restored as a spacious pedestrian bridge and offers superb views of the Black Oak river flowing into the harbour and the estuary beyond. The restored railway station is now home to the local council offices.
North of the bridge, St Patrick’s Catholic Church towers high above the town and is a fine example of the Irish Romanesque style. It is renowned for its stained glass window of The Last Judgement by eminent Irish glass artist Harry Clarke, one of 17 in eight churches around the county.